The Cheese Board Collective is a worker-owned Cooperative. Our Cheese and Bread division is looking for new members to share our business with.
Candidates must complete a six-month candidacy period before being considered for membership. We are looking for a long-term commitment, preferably five years or more.
If you are interested in applying please join us at our Open House (1512 Shattuck Ave) on either Sunday June 28 or Monday, June 29th from 12-3:00 p.m. to meet our hiring committee. There will be a short tour of the store. No interviews will be conducted at the Open Houses.
Please bring the following with you to the Open House:
- Cheese Board Collective Application http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/uploads/Application.pdf
(Attach up to one page if needed)
- Brief cover letter
We will only accept applications during the open houses. If you cannot make it to one of the open houses we will not be able to accept your application at this time.
We encourage people of color, women, queer and trans-identified folks to apply. We are striving towards a diverse, supportive, community and do not discriminate in our hiring based on race, gender or sex, religion, size, age, sexual orientation, marital status, economic background or educational history.
Members work together in a close-knit environment and are involved in every aspect of operating the business. Everyone is given the opportunity to learn every aspect of the business. It is a privilege and responsibility of membership to work towards the successful continued operation and growth of our collective. All candidate members are required to attend business meetings where the group makes decisions using a modified consensus process.
All workers (including candidates) are paid a living wage, $21 per hour. In addition, members receive a share of the profits based on the number of hours worked. We offer full medical benefits, plus a host of other benefits, including dental and retirement plans to members.
BAKERY AND CHEESE DIVISION
Candidates will be working 6-8 hour days, up to 40 hours per week during candidacy. We require that members be flexible and available to work all shifts during all production hours 4:00AM-7:30 PM Monday through Saturday. Full time work at the Bakery and Cheese Division usually means working 4 shifts and being available to substitute on a fifth day. Candidates usually start with 3 to 4 shifts. Business meetings are generally held monthly on a Monday.
Some of our tasks include waiting on customers with a strong emphasis on great customer service, selling cheeses, working the express line, making coffee drinks, cashiering, organizational duties outside of shifts, ordering, keeping up with new information re: new cheeses, preparing ingredients, making dough, and baking breads. We all share in the considerable amount of clean up work.
Work Expectations and Requirements of New Candidate Members
- Must have a love of food
- Enthusiastic about working in a democratically managed workplace
- Food handling experience is preferred
- Ability to work weekends and cover shifts—often on short notice
- Working hard and being punctual are essential
- Must be able to work shifts that start at 6am or that end at 9pm at the pizzeria
- Must be able to work shifts that start at 4am or that end at 7:30pm at the bakery/cheese shop
- Great customer skills are required
- Enthusiasm for interacting with the public
- Candidates and members are expected to attend all business meetings (Candidates will be paid)
- Must be available to work during the holiday season
- Scheduling for members is dynamic and we can’t guarantee a set number of hours per week, initially.